POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : MultiThreaded version of PovRay 3.5 : Re: MultiThreaded version of PovRay 3.5 Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:34:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MultiThreaded version of PovRay 3.5
From: Theo Gottwald *
Date: 11 Aug 2002 10:42:05
Message: <3d5677bd@news.povray.org>
Sounds really good.

However the speed increase in Hyperthreading is diffrent to true
"smp-multiprocessing-systems".

while in multiprocessing systems you have a REAL SECOND FPU, you have
in a "Hyperthreading system" no physical second CPU" but just two
register-sets and caches.

So the speed win comes if one process is halted or used, I doubt we can have
real
45% increase like with a true SMP-System. After what I have read till now,
Floating-point calculations may be one of the things that get least speed
improvements from "jackson technology hyperthreading". 25% ?

However the Intel approach to help enable multiprocessing in standard
applications is a good idea and
I welcome it at any time cause its the way to the PC's of the future..

Also Intel has always had very good SMP-System.

BTW ...
Some more thinkings ...
- what do we think about a commandline-switch "-use_SSE" (Intel Streaming
Extensions) ?
 :-) is it usable and could it speed up this sort of calculations ?

NVIDIA has just running a study to make Raytracing in Hardware.
- could we use direct X 9 under windows to get speed improvements in future
versions ?

--Theo Gottwald

PS: So long you all work on "the real thing" I've been doing a "so long
solution".
     I've put a BETA-Test Version up which supports as many processors as
anyone may have.
     In one or in ten PC's.
     It currently does not support animations and its in Gemran. But maybe
in a few days ...
     The link is http://www.it-berater.org/smpov.htm